"You look tired." Yeah. How is one supposed to properly respond to such a statement? I haven't slept a full night in the last two-years.
Let's give them the benefit of the doubt; they're just being friendly, endearing even. But can we all agree? Nothing makes an exhausted mother feel worse. It feels like a backhanded "you look like death warmed over" slap in the face. Here are a few simple mom-to-mom tricks for avoiding that statement all together.
6 Tricks to Make You Look More Awake When You're Utterly Exhausted:
1. Cold water. It may sound unappealing, but trust me — it totally wakes you (and your face) up. The splash of cold water will shrink your pores and instantly reduce puffiness.
2. Conceal under your eyes. After a long night, the biggest indicator of your tired face is likely the dark circles under your eyes. Make it a quick step in your morning process: Use foundation first, to even out your skin, then blend a little bit of concealer until it looks smooth.
3. Help your eyes appear more open. Start by curling your lashes. This step can make all the difference. Once you're done, accentuate them with a couple coats of mascara.
I've heard many moms swear by Moodstruck 3D Fiber Lashes, but the person who convinced me to try the product was my friend Michelle. As the mother of twins, she was getting absolutely no sleep at night. People would constantly ask, "Are you tired?" With four little kids in the house, of course she is! After she started using Moodstruck 3D Fiber Lashes (and only this — no other make-up) people stopped asking her this double-edged question.
What I love about this product:
- It is quick. Despite being a three step process, I can apply in less than 2-minutes.
- The product doesn't feel heavy or sticky. There is nothing worse than having your eyelashes stick together every time you blink!
- It is made with natural ingredients. My eyes are pretty sensitive and the Moodstruck 3D Fiber Lashes doesn't bother them or make them itchy.
- One application looks great all day, but washes off easily at the end of the night with warm water.
I thought this review/tutorial was super helpful the first time I applied Moodstruck 3D Fiber Lashes. Start at about 2:50 if you want to skip the intro and get right to the tutorial. I don't apply two layers as she does, but you can quickly see how amazing this product is...
Learn more about Moodstruck 3D Fiber Lashes online here.
Nervous about trying something new? Read The Love It Guarantee.
*I am an official approved Younique Independent Presenter.
4. Dab on some lip color. Skip the plain Chapstick my friends. Adding some lip color will bring some much-needed brightness to your face; it will also divert attention from your tired-looking eyes. Pick shades that are natural looking, like soft pinks and glossy nudes.
5. Try yoga nidra or “yogic sleep” while your kids nap. This practice can be done anywhere you can lie down on your back. If it’s early morning or after 9pm, you can practice it in bed. During the day, while your kids nap, get comfortable on the couch or living room floor. Put your iPhone on “Do not disturb” and either pop in headphones or set your phone on speakers.
Here are two FREE yoga nidra classes that you can download and listen to over, and over and over again. To see if yoga nidra is a good fit for you, click here to learn more about yogic sleep.
6. Take five. No time for a full hour of yogic sleep? No worries. Simply clearing your mind and taking a few deep breaths is enough to uplift your attitude and make you look more awake. Try this FREE 5-minute meditation for a quick fix.
BONUS TIP: Get dressed. Yes, I know you love your yoga pants. No need to blush. Trust me, you're not the only one who is wearing them. They are awesome:
Yoga pants allow me the freedom to chase my kids around the house (and the store and the park and just to the mailbox) without being hindered by a skirt or dress flying into my face or skinny jeans restricting my movements and blood flow.
Embrace this comfy option. Don't get me wrong though, I am not condoning a daily rotation of two pairs of comfy yoga pants and along with worn soft t-shirts. You will feel better and look ready to ROCK if you are wearing something that makes you feel good.
Go beyond your two regular pairs and bring some fresh pairs into the mix. If you're looking for a good deal, Zulily always has clearance sales on brand name mom gear. Click here to see the current selection of yoga pants. My favorites are the ones with the comfy tummy control section featured below.
And perhaps most importantly remember, sleep is not just for the selfish:
Granted, sleep deprivation is very much a part of motherhood that’s incredibly hard to avoid. But that doesn’t mean we have to be okay with it! That doesn’t mean we should just get over it and put on a happy face about it...
In the midst of all the chaos of parenting, remember to take care of YOU too. Enlist help.
When it gets hard to find time, I remind myself...
In the end, I am the only one who can give my children a happy mother who loves life.
Try to get some rest my friend.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”