The Gift of an Ordinary Day

“I know I can’t make time slow down, can’t hold our life as it is in a freeze frame or slow my children’s inexorable journeys into adulthood and lives of their own. But I can celebrate those journeys by bearing witness to them, by paying attention, and, perhaps most of all, by carrying on with my own growth and becoming. ” {Katrina Kenison, The Gift of an Ordinary Day}

Let’s Lasso the Moon Tip: Take a moment to watch this author’s reading. I promise it is worth your time.  You might want to grab some tissues.

Are you capturing the little moments? Whether your shooting on a DSLR or in Instagram… join us and Peas And Carrots online in capturing the gift of an ordinary moment with our photo-a-day project:

Click here to join our Project 365 Flickr Group.

Here are a few of my favorite “ordinary day” moments from a project in 2010 when I vowed to take a photo a day.

Having issues with the video? Click here to see the still Flickr set.

Will you join me in Project 2013? Let’s chat in the comments!

sig

Comments

• Anonymous says

I loved putting together the video. It was so much fun & I thought the song was absolutely perfect with the book quote. I cannot wait to start P366. Shad and I talked about it and I think we might have the girls do a Project 52 in conjunction with us. We’ll see!!!!

• Anonymous says

Jess, don’t get down on yourself. It is challenging. Tiffany (the top dog over at Develop) said that in a lot of ways Project 52 feels more challenging that the traditional Project 365 because there is more pressure for your “once a week photo” to be really good.

Bookmark this post. When you get frustrated remember that one of the reasons you are participating is to capture moments with your little peanut who is turning into a princess quicker than you can imagine. Too soon those nightly snuggle sessions, book requests, and adorable handmade outfits will be met with tween scowls. Enjoy every moment you have!

I also found one of the best ways to stay motivate is to find a project buddy (virtual or someone in your life). It helps keep you in check.

PS: The intro to my final guest post of the week is “The best camera is the one you have with you.” Remember this project is *not* about perfection. Maybe it becomes Project 32, maybe a photo is completely out of focus, so what!

• Anonymous says

Angela, I love that you created your own board for Project 2012! I am following it. I am also adding you into the group board in case you want to pin there too.

The best part of participating through DevelopandInspire.com is there are a variety of people to ask questions of… please don’t hesitate to pop onto Facebook and chat with the group. We have a lot of newbies this year and that is one of the things that makes it fun. So glad to have you join us.

• Anonymous says

Erin, the best way to stick with the project is to find another friend to do it with you. It is also a wonderful way to get to know an “acquaintance friend” better. I can tell you that having Tiffany (my partner in crime over at Develop) participate in the 2010 definitely got me through the year.

PS: I love your hair board. I just got a pixie cut last month and am always looking for fun pics.

• Anonymous says

I noticed a classroom board on your Pinterest set. If you are a teacher and would like to collaborate on the “Lifetime Love of Learning” group board let me know! :-)

Also loved your “Random Acts of Christmas” board….

• Anonymous says

Melissa, I’ve added you to the board. Starting on the 1st feel free to upload your photos! You can manually do this with the “add a pin” button in the top right corner or by pinning you photo directly from the official group Flickr group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1794273@N25/

• Anonymous says

Hannah, your link did not work. If you try posting it again I will add you in! Or give me your full name to look you up!

• Anonymous says

Yasmin, you’re in! I am excited to see photos of your kids. I hope this helps you follow through with learning to play with your camera. Pop over to DevelopAndInspire.com for more ideas too. :-)

1. Kat Lally says

Hi,

I’ve been so absent over at Pinterest. The good news is that is because I was off a big work project and was spending fabulous family time and actually getting Pinterest projects done.

I would love to participate. I signed up for the flickr group. Should I sign up for the pinterest board too?

My board is here:http://pinterest.com/galwaygal/

~Kat

2. Laura says

You’ve given me the push I need to work on a project I’ve been wanting to do for a very long time! I love the blog, http://babymakingmachine.blogspot.com/search/label/love%20letters & have been wanting to do something similar for my girls. This “challenge” is giving me that opportunity. Thanks! Here’s my boards: http://pinterest.com/pooka7896/ The board I’m using for this challenge is: http://pinterest.com/pooka7896/lessons-learned-a-year-of-love-advice-for-my-girls/ I’ll also be featuring it on their blog too! Huge thanks Zina!

• Anonymous says

Laura, I hope you are still taking photos! The link above to the specific board did not work. The blog you referenced is pretty cool. You’re on the group board. Cheers.

• Anonymous says

Kathy, it is wonderful to have another blogger on board! I hope you are using the project for your “Wordless Tales.” :-)

• Anonymous says

Fay, I hope you are still interested in participating! You are right it is hard to stay connected sometimes. I can only imagine with four kids. We do have a lot of people doing the weekly photo if P366 is too much.

3. Tdw527 says

Love this challenge. I’m a retired art teacher and working visual artist. I love this blog and have signed up for the challenge.

4. Strllradvsocal says

I’d love to join, but am a little confused if it’s on pinterest, flickr or Facebook? and how exactly does it work?

• Anonymous says

It is a chose your own adventure; use the social network of your choice! The main gist of it will run through the Flickr group. It is an easy place to share, make comments, view others’ photos, etc. However, I am taking names of people to add to the Pinterest group board. If you want you can also upload your photos there or pin your photos from Flickr there. It is just another fun way to share & get comments. Follow us on Facebook simply to get inspiration, ask questions and chat with the group. Yell if you have any other questions!

• Strllradvsocal says

Ok, so flickr app: Check!
        first picture: Check!
        I will add my photo to pinterest in a new category so it doesn’t get mixed up. Thanks for the response and Happy New year!

5. Samantha Hall says

I am intrigued by this project because I have been searching for a way to tell our family story in photos. Scapbooking didn’t work with me and jamming photos into an album with no story didn’t work either. So I am going to jump in too and try this out! And I love this blog and pinteres! They allow an aspiring novice as myself to be creative in ways that work for me. Here is my URL….

6. Julie Phillips says

I’m going to attempt to take one photo a day as I think this is a wonderful idea and a great challenge! We have a 9 month old son so it will be such a great way to document how much he’s going to change between now and next year at this time. My pinterest account is http://pinterest.com/jules1178. Thanks for the opportunity!

• Anonymous says

Your boards are nice & your photo for your blog is lovely. I added you to a few other fun collaborative boards if you are interested. :-) Thank you for the smile this morning.

7. Ckmommy1 says

Hello I was reading your page and would love to be a part of your 366 project. I am on fb , pintrest and flicker. I am very excited about this. I started with my first photo yesterday. I just uploaded on to flicker. Thank you for letting me be apart of such a wonderful idea.

• Lisa C. Warren says

Hello! I’m very interested in joining and have sign up my Flickr account and such. I’m wondering how to begin to post to the pinterest group?