This too simple, two-simple Orange Brown Sugar Cake is my absolute favorite.
This recipe is too simple: two cups, two eggs, two cans, two teaspoons.
It doesn't get much easier than this, so the girls and I have name it our Two Simple Brown Sugar Cake.
A couple of quick notes:
- The first time Shad's mom made this cake for the family, I turned my nose up and asked, "What is that?" It is not exactly beautiful in the final format; it's brown, plain, and delicious.
- I never knew there were mandarin oranges in the cake until I asked about the recipe. They get chopped up in the beaters and make the final result unbelievably moist and delicious.
- You absolutely must have whipped cream on top. Ice-cream will suffice if whipped cream is not available!
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- 2 cups White sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 2 cans Mandarin orange (11 oz. each), drained
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon salt *optional
- ¾ cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat your oven to 325ºF.
- Beat all of the cake ingredients for 3 minutes with an electric mixer.
- Pour the mixture into a sprayed 9 x 13 pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, combine over medium heat the ingredients for the topping in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil for 1 minute.
- Pour hot topping on cake immediately after it is removed from the oven.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 307Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 39mgSodium 348mgCarbohydrates 65gFiber 1gSugar 48gProtein 4g
Disclaimer: Nutrition calculation is automatically calculated and may be inaccurate.
delightful, enjoyable, heavenly, rich, sweet, tempting, tasty, yummy, divine, fit for a king, gratifying, scrumptious, tasteful, and my favorite (lol)... titillating.
Image Credits via Flickr Creative Commons:
Mandarin Oranges, SF Chinatown by Gary Stevens
Sugar Cannister by Joanna Bourne
First Root Farm CSA Ninth Pickup #7 Eggs by Tim Sackton
YUM! Mandarin oranges can by Kyle Pearson