This new Netflix original is a must-watch with your older kiddos.
Watching movies and TV with your tween is a great way to open the door to conversations that would otherwise be uncomfortable. The key is finding the right content to watch. Two shows I've enjoyed watching with my daughters (10 & 12) on Netflix are Girl Meets World and The Wonder Years.
Recently though, the Netflix-original One Day at a Time has caught our attention (8/10 IMBD + 96% Rotten Tomatoes). It is a comedy-drama inspired by the original 1975 series of the same name.
Watching this with my twelve-year-old daughter has been an amazing experience. The show style is old-school sitcom. In other words, it covers heavy topics, but at a surface level with quite a few laughs mixed in.
To give you a parent-to-parent heads-up, here are some of the topics covered:
- Episode 1: Feminism
- Episode 2: Sexism
- Episode 3: Religion
- Episode 4: Divorce & Dating
- Episode 5: Illegal Immigrants
- Episode 6: Military PTSD
- Episode 7: Veteran Experiences with the VA
- Episode 8: Honesty
- Episode 9: Diversity Programs & Immigration
- Episode 10: Porn
- Episode 11: Sexuality
- Episode 12 & 13: Family Matters
Ok, as I write the topic list, even I am a little daunted by the topic intensity. I promise, the show is filled with humor and delicately covers each topic. The episodes are a springboard to open a conversation for you to share YOUR beliefs on these things with your kids.
UPDATE: We loved season two as well and cannot wait to start watching season three together! Here's a preview for the season...
I hope you'll take the time to check it out. If you've already been watching it with your kiddos, I'd love to hear your opinion of the show in the comments!
Hey, I want to take a quick moment to share this with you...
FREE Webinar: Get Your Kids to Listen Without Nagging or Yelling
The Positive Parenting Solutions toolbox has been super helpful at our house with our two girls. They're running another free webinar soon; check it and their free Backtalk Battles workbook out here.
During the webinar parents of kids ages three through teens will learn...
- Why punishments and "because I said so" backfire. If these strategies aren't working for you...take heart. It's not you and it's not your kids. You'll learn what works instead!
- How YOUR personality may fuel power struggles with your kids! Yikes. This is a big aha! for parents. Discover if your personality lends itself to power struggles and why.
- The 5 R's of Fair & Effective CONSEQUENCES — Discover how to structure CONSEQUENCES so kids listen the first time you ask!