This easy DIY felt heart garland is a simple intro-sewing craft for kids and a great Valentine's Day decoration!
We decide to roll with a red-to-pink ombré vertical garland, so we grabbed five shades of felt at the local craft store. We also got supplies to make these adorable handmade felt Valentine envelopes.
This is what happened next ...
Quick Note: We love this Janome Pink Lightning Portable Sewing Machine (above). We started off with a toy sewing machine when the girls were little and it was a waste of money. We bought this small machine when my daughter was eight and it has been awesome. It has a lot of nice features and is a great stepping stone to a full machine. I highly recommend it for kids.
Felt Heart Garland Instructions
The instructions for the felt heart garland are pretty simple:
- Create cardboard template and cut felt hearts to the size of your choice. We went with smaller hearts to ensure the top curves didn't fold over when displayed.
- Get your sewing machine ready. Pull some thread (so you have something to hang the garland from) and then sew down the center of your first felt heart.
- Pull more thread (we left about 6 inches between each heart) and sew through the next heart.
- Continue this until you have as many hearts as you wish. Our garland had five hearts, one of each shade of pink/red.
- Hang the garland from the ceiling using a push pin.
Easy-peasy, once you get your groove going.
Here is our heart garland...
My daughter also stitched together a horizontal felt heart garland for above our piano with the leftover pieces.
So simple. So cute.
P.S. Other heart and Valentine's Day projects you might enjoy...
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”