Got kids? You'll want to try out this simple oven-baked chicken Parmesan. A few easy tweaks make this classic recipe EASY and kid-friendly without futzing too much with the delicious, well-loved traditional flavor.
Check out the full recipe below along with seven tips for baking success.
Thanks to today's sponsor, Ragú® for inspiring this creative, kid-friendly recipe and some Saucesome family moments along the way.
Let's get cookin'.
7 Baked Chicken Parmesan Kitchen Tips
Below you'll find the full recipe, but before we get to that I'd like to share a few of my favorite baking tips with you along the way:
1. Evenly Cooked Chicken // To ensure your chicken is evenly cooked, be sure you pound it evenly. Simply throw it in a sealable bag, and use a kitchen hammer or the base of a glass to flatten the chicken. This will ensure a perfectly baked breast.
2. Less Mess, Less Dishes // Many chicken parmesan recipes call for you to dip your chicken in an egg mixture and then into a bowl with bread crumbs. Keep things simple. Throw the egg and your spices right into the plastic bag once the chicken is flattened. Use your hands to massage all the items to ensure you get good coverage.
3. Keep the Classic Crisp Without the Oil // I love traditional chicken parmesan, but ... all that oil and frying! To give your oven-baked chicken Parmesan that same classic crunch, be sure to use panko bread crumbs. A crispy, crunchy texture is a must for this recipe. Another helpful tip is to place the chicken on a rack when baking. I like to line the baking sheet below with foil for easy clean-up!
4. Go Fresh // Fresh peppers, fresh Parmesan, fresh chicken... even a dash of fresh basil. Summer offers us a great opportunity to utilize our local farmer's market. If it's the right season and you have the time to indulge, go fresh. You can't beat the flavor.
5. Utilize Your Leftovers // Earlier in the week, we cut up a bunch of fresh peppers for individual Family-Style Grilled Pizza. I roasted the leftover slices in the oven with some red onion. Roasted veggies are my favorite and a great addition to any Italian dish. We also used the leftover mozzarella and Parmesan from the pizzas.
6. Simple Weekly Meal Planning // The oven-baked chicken Parmesan and grilled pizzas work together great when scheduling a weekly meal plan. The ingredient crossover makes them a perfect combo. Although they're both Italian recipes, because of the longevity of the shared ingredients, you can space them out during the week!
7. Break the Rules // Spaghetti haters unite. Yes, chicken Parmesan is usually served with spaghetti. So what? Our families loves it served with cellentani pasta.
Have you tried these crazy spiral noodles? I swear your kids will eat anything accompanied with them. We just love trying different types of pasta at our house. Let's all take a moment to remember this one simple fact...
Easy Oven Baked Chicken Parmesan
Shall we look at the ingredient list and the full recipe for the oven baked chicken parmesan?
- ¾ cup Panko bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ ts. Garlic salt
- 4 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 1 jar (1 lb. 8 oz.) Ragu® Traditional Sauce
- 1 cup Part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Parmesan, fresh-shaved
- Preheat oven to 400°. Combine bread crumbs, Italian seasoning and garlic powder in a shallow dish.
- Pound chicken flat, approximately ½-3/4 inch thick, within a sealed plastic bag. Add egg and knead bag.
- Dip chicken in crumb mixture; turn to coat.
- Arrange chicken on wire baking rack on top of a foil-lined cookie sheet. Bake 30 minutes.
- Pour sauce over chicken; top with cheeses. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 458Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 176mgSodium 1085mgCarbohydrates 22gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 58g
Disclaimer: Nutrition calculation is automatically calculated and may be inaccurate.
Recipe inspired by Ragù Oven Baked Chicken Parmesan
Of course, my version of the recipe and dinner plate included those delicious roasted peppers and onions. Nom. Nom. Nom
I have to say that, at our house, an Italian dinner is only complete if served with fresh garlic bread and warm sauce for dipping. If you're looking for a twist on this classic, check out our grilled garlic flatbread recipe!
Dinner Al Fresco
My kids *love* eating outside. I was able to easily throw the pasta and chicken together on a platter, making this a simple dinner to enjoy alfresco in the backyard. Some fresh fruit and brownies, graciously provided by our neighbor, added a touch of sweetness to the table.
But what really makes family dinner Saucesome is the conversation and sweet smiles.
What is #Saucesome?
Ragú explains that Saucesome is mealtime magic, like when good food, family and friends come together. Or the lasagna YOU made (high five)…the taste of which sends everyone running to the table. Or the inevitable (and uncontrollable) laughter you hear as the kids gobble down chicken Parm and share secrets at the table. You know the feeling. Saucesome. Let’s celebrate it.
If you try the oven baked chicken Parmesan out or would like to share your own Saucesome family moments, upload your pics on our Facebook page. We'd love to see them.
P.S. If you're looking for more recipe and family-dinner inspiration, be sure to follow our Awesome?!? Saucesome! Pinterest board. Be sure to also check out Ragú's #Saucesome board, too.
Disclosure of Material Connection: This is a “sponsored post.” The company who sponsored it compensated me via a cash payment, gift, or something else of value to write it. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”