This homemade ice-cream cake recipe is THE BEST ever. Drumstick Cake brings together all the flavors of the classic summer ice-cream cone into a delicious one of a kind ice-cream cake.
What does summer mean to you?
For me, it is…
The scent of sunscreen.
Kids cruising the neighborhood on their bikes.
Freshly cut grass.
And … lollygagging as we wait around for the ice-cream truck so we can get DRUMSTICKS.
This recipe combines all of the classic goodness of drumstick ice-cream into a homemade ice-cream cake — fudge, peanuts, vanilla ice-cream coupled with a crunch.
I wholeheartedly believe it is THE BEST ice-cream cake recipe ever; this cake twist on classic drumstick cones is even better than a storebought ice-cream cake!
Drumstick Cake — THE BEST Homemade Ice-Cream Cake Recipe Ever!
I admit, I can not take full credit for this ice-cream cake recipe. Isn’t that true of ALL the very best recipes?!? They’ve been handed down from one mom to another over the years!
Back when I was in college, I worked part-time at a bank with a wonderful group of moms. I’d often encourage Friday pot lucks because they were all AMAZING bakers and cooks. Some of my favorite recipes today, some twenty years later, originated from this group of women.
I want to take a moment to give a big THANK YOU to Sherry for passing this Drumstick Cake recipe on to me so that I can pass it on to your family today. (A couple of other quick bank lady shout-outs to Cele for teaching me to make homemade sloppy joes, Kay for her buttermilk waffles recipe, Carol for her holiday popcorn, and to Ann for teaching me to make a proper turkey sandwich. I still have handwritten recipes from all these women in my kitchen.)
Let’s get to that ice-cream cake recipe, shall we?!?
Tips on how to make ice cream cake at home
Before I share the full Drumstick Cake recipe with you, I want to give you a couple of quick tips on how to make ice-cream cake at home.
- Set aside a nice chunk of time so you can let your ice-cream cake properly set between steps. Homemade ice-cream cake cannot be rushed.
- Spreading ice-cream is not an easy thing! If you genuinely want to know how to make ice-cream cake, this is the trick that will help you with any ice-cream cake recipe. Let your ice-cream thaw a bit (but not too much), then cut it into 1-inch thick slices using a dull knife. Lay those slices down onto your base to defrost a bit more, then keep attempting to push and spread.
- Once you’ve spread your ice-cream cake layer, let it freeze SOLID before attempting to add a warm topping.
- When you’re ready to serve homemade ice-cream cake, run your knife under hot water, so it is easier to slice.
The most important tip when making homemade ice-cream cake recipes…
Perhaps the most important tips is don’t worry about what your homemade ice-cream cake looks like; what truly matters is how it TASTES. This Drumstick Cake is not the most beautiful dessert, but I swear… it is THE BEST ice-cream cake recipe ever.
Drumstick Cake Printable— Homemade Ice-Cream Cake Recipe
- 4 C. Cocoa Krispies
- 1/2 Gallon vanilla ice-cream
- 1 C. Peanut butter
- 1 Jar hot fudge
- 1/2 C. Light Karo syrup
- 1 C. Chopped party peanuts
- For the crust, mix Cocoa Krispies, peanut butter and Karo syrup by hand. Put in lightly greased 9×13 pan.
- Take your ice-cream OUT of the freezer and put the crust INTO the freezer.
- After twenty minutes, slice the semi-softened ice-cream (like bread) with a knife, place the sliced on top of the frozen crust, and spread evenly over crust (if needed let ice-cream thaw more).
- Put the ice-cream cake back into the freezer until hard, at least 1-2 hours.
- Heat fudge for one minute in the microwave and spread on top of the cake with a spatula — move fast! Sprinkle with nuts and freeze until firm.
- Serve and enjoy!
So delicious. I guarantee your family is going to love this. Perhaps so much that they want Drumstick Cake on their birthday.
How to Make This An Ice-Cream Birthday Cake Recipe
Lean in; I’m going to let you in on a little something-something. You can make any favorite homemade ice-cream cake recipe into an “ice-cream birthday cake” simply by adding SPRINKLES.
If I am honest with you though, at our house, I am the one who requests Drumstick Cake for my birthday every year. Yep, yep — I’m forty plus and enjoying ice-cream birthday cake every year.
Whether you make this ice-cream cake recipe for a birthday celebration, to celebrate the first day of summer, or “just because,” I hope you enjoy it as much as our family does!
Love this ice-cream cake recipe? Sharing this Drumstick Cake would make our week. ?
It would make our week if you took a second to share this homemade ice-cream cake recipe on your favorite social media spot. (That’s how we know we’re on the right track and should continue writing more posts like this!)
Don’t want to lose this recipe? Pin it for later!