Do you need a Momcation too? Below are seven things you absolutely MUST-HAVE to ensure a relaxing break. Thank you to Comfort Suites by Choice Hotels for sponsoring today’s self-care post.
Being a mom is a full-time job. Unfortunately, unlike other jobs, it doesn’t come with two weeks of vacation days. What’s more, when we moms actually do take a “vacation,” we tend to focus on making sure our family members are having the time of their lives vs. actually giving ourselves time to rest our overworked minds and bodies. We moms put others’ needs in front of our own so often that we don’t stop long enough to see how badly we truly NEED a break.
Take the blinders off. Right now. I’m giving you permission to hit the Pause button to do some self-reflection… The quiz below is a playful way to help you determine if you are truly in need of a break — or if you merely want one.
In the end, whether you need or just want a vacation really doesn’t matter because… you DESERVE one.
Is that hard for you to accept? If the thought of spending time away from your family makes you feel guilty or uncomfortable, check out this list of ten reasons you’ll be stronger after a vacation. I promise, if you take a break, you’ll be a better mom when you return.
This fall, I had the opportunity to slip away with a close friend for a kid-free weekend. We are both Type-A planners, so the fact that we were leaving on a Friday afternoon with absolutely no agenda in hand for the entire weekend was definitely a sign we needed a break. We didn’t even have time to plan our own Momcation.
We started our road-trip adventure with three hours of uninterrupted conversation in the car. We paused for lunch when we felt hungry and ate at a local restaurant (with decadent home-made desserts, mind you) that we happened upon. We stopped at a local vineyard on the way to the hotel simply because we could. Every choice we made based on our own accord made us laugh.
The freedom of our “whimsy” was intoxicating.
Over the weekend, we splurged on a long, fancy (four-course!) dinner and toured a beautiful Frank Lloyd Wright building in the area. Yet, it was the simple things that brought me the most joy…
Like having this beautiful (and quiet) room for just the two of us all weekend.
There were so many little things there that delighted me… Like four perfectly aligned pillows on each bed. I admit, I’m a bit of a pillow snob. I loved the four pillows per bed, arranged in order of firmness. I know, I’m a dork.
And then there was having an entire bed all to myself. I have to say it again, an entire bed all to myself. Just for me. We stayed up late — tucked under the covers, lying smack in the middle of our big, comfy beds — chatting into the night. We slept in each morning with nothing but the sun (and the thoughts of an awesome complimentary breakfast) to wake us.
Last of all, I have to tell you that for a busy mom, taking 15 whole minutes — uninterrupted — in a hot shower and then wrapping up in a thick, plush, bright-white hotel towel had us feeling as though we’d treated ourselves to a luxurious spa-pampering session.
Our entire weekend was filled with simple pleasures like these.
Now, as moms, we don’t have the opportunity to travel kid-free often. So when planning a Momcation, make sure to have these seven things…
7 Things You Absolutely Must-Have for a Relaxing Momcation
1. Your favorite friends. You want friends who dance with you in the car. Friends whom you can chat with for 3 hours and still not be out of conversation topics. Friends who make you laugh so hard you feel like you might pee your pants. Friends who make the drive one of the best parts of the adventure. Don’t waste your special time away from your family with mere acquaintances or obligatory companions.
2. iExit & Yelp. Whether you have a plan or you’re flying by the seat of your pants, make sure you have iExit & Yelp on your smart phone before you leave the house. Both these apps are great for helping you make decisions during your road trip.
3. Chocolate. It may be cliché, but don’t leave home without it. Be sure you have a secret stash packed for your Momcation.
4. Books, books, and more books. Bring that fiction book that’s been collecting dust on your nightstand. Grab your old books to swap with your friends. Bring books that moved you for you to discuss while sitting with your feet up by the pool. Just bring books.
5. A little black dress and heels. If you want to “hit the town,” you’ll be prepared. If you decide you’d rather just hang out at the hotel with your gal-pals, it’s empowering to decide to *not* get dressed-up, too.
6. Late night snacks. The best conversations always seem to happen after midnight. Don’t forget the snacks. A corkscrew or champagne glasses might come in handy, too. Of course, mimosas in hotel cups will do just fine. Make sure you bring some bottled water to have chilled for the morning!
7. A spacious hotel suite. Don’t underestimate the value of a night IN with your best ladies. Your hotel is your home base for the weekend. Check out Comfort Suites when you’re making travel plans. You can relax in a newly remodeled suite at a reasonable price. Once you’ve got everything unpacked from the car, get the drinks chilling in the fridge, microwave the popcorn, sit back on the couch, and just decompress with your BFFs.
Remember, your trip doesn’t have to be expensive or extravagant — just away. Your Momcation doesn’t have to be long — just long enough.
Honestly, ya know what the best part of taking a trip like this is? Being happy to come home again. Rested. Set. Go.
PS: Remember friend…
Measure life in smiles, not miles.
Sometimes it’s hard to get a feel for the space in a room via photos. Below is a short tour of the Comfort Suites ® I stayed at in Madison.
Here’s a bit more info from Comfort Suites:
Bigger really is better. And at Comfort Suites hotels, you’ll find more of the space you need to spread out, relax or work —25% more space than a traditional room, to be exact. Stretch out on the sofa, be productive at the desk, or kick back in our premium bedding. Comfort Suites hotels have the essentials you need to stay on your game and to be your best you.
All our suites are 100% smoke-free hotels. Every Comfort Suites location has the extra space you need with the extras you want —like a refrigerator and a microwave in the convenience of your own suite. Plus a fitness center and pool in just about every hotel to help you stay active while you’re on the go. And don’t forget to start your day off right with the fuel you need for the day ahead – a free hot breakfast featuring our signature waffles and plenty of healthy options too.
- All Comfort Suites hotels are 100% smoke-free
- In-room refrigerators and microwaves
- Free hot breakfast—from eggs and meat to healthy yogurt and fresh fruit, plus waffles—everyone’s favorite!
- Free high-speed internet
- Fitness center and pool at most locations
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Choice Hotels. The opinions and text are all mine.