This homemade peppermint hot chocolate recipe is so creamy and rich, you’ll never go back to using a powdered mix! Use these hot cocoa melt-aways to make better-than-Starbucks peppermint hot chocolate for the kids and a mint mocha coffee for you.
Oh yeah. I knew the moment I read about making homemade “real hot chocolate” that it would be a hit at our house. I didn’t realize making these hot chocolate melt-aways would become a winter tradition.
My friend, this is the BEST hot chocolate recipe ever.
So creamy & rich. Seriously delicious. You’ll never want to go back to powdered hot cocoa again.
My girls love the simplicity of making homemade hot drinks with these peppermint hot chocolate melt-aways straight-up in milk.
I, on the other hand, have become obsessed with using them to make a better-than-Starbucks peppermint mocha coffee.
And oh how I do adore my Starbucks Peppermint Mocha Coffees.
FYI — If you’re not a fan of peppermint, you can make plain chocolate hot cocoa too!
What I love about this recipe? Making a batch of these hot cocoa melt-aways only requires three simple steps, and then you’re pretty much set for the whole winter!
You can thank me later,
Better Than Starbucks Peppermint Hot Chocolate Recipe
Here’s the recipe…
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups of Andes Candies Baking Chips (or crushed Andes Candies)
- *Reserve 1/2 cup of Andes Baking Chips for decorating
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- A dash of salt
- Combine 1-1/2 cup of Andes Candies Baking Chip along with all of the ingredients in a bowl. Melt the mixture in the microwave using one-minute intervals. Here’s a little secret from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe: The trick is to stir often since the mixture will blend together even when it looks like the chocolate chips haven’t melted completely.
- Refrigerator until the ganache mixture is firm and scoopable. This takes a few hours.
- Take a small cookie scooper and plop a truffle into a bowl of Andes Baking Chips. Coat and firmly squeeze the candy chips into the ganache.
- You can wrap the truffles individually with plastic wrap or store in a large Ziploc bag in the freezer!
VITAL STEP: Don’t forget this important step when making your homemade peppermint hot chocolate!
We always sample the chocolate chips and candies to make sure they “are not poisoned.” Ha.
As a young girl, my father would always snag the first sip of my chocolate milk and tell me, “he didn’t want to do it, but he had to do it,” to make sure it wasn’t poisoned. My kids love this passed-down silly tradition. Be sure to taste-test all the candy ingredients with your kids while baking!
How to Make Ahh-mazing Mint Hot Cocoa
Making peppermint cocoa is as easy as 1-2-3 once you’ve got these magic melt-aways stockpiled in the freezer.
- Drop one peppermint hot chocolate truffle into a mug of milk.
- Microwave for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir well and ENJOY.
How to Make a Better-Than-Starbucks Peppermint Mocha Coffee
Oh, how I love these!
- Drop one peppermint hot chocolate melt-away into a tall coffee mug with 1/2 cup of milk — microwave for one minute.
- Fill the remainder of your mug with hot coffee.
- Stir well and ENJOY.
We know you’ll love this winter tradition as much as we do!!!
PS: I cannot stop saying it as I sip on my peppermint hot chocolate… So, I am starting and ending this post with an, “Oh, Yeah.”