Which picture books would you pack for a toddler’s Reading Picnic?

This month we are focusing on trees and, of course, reading as always!

The research and findings of the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD) show reading is the single most important skill necessary for a happy, productive and successful life. A child that is an excellent reader is a confident child, has a high level of self esteem and is able to easily make the transition from learning to read to reading to learn.  {Source: Homework Help Secrets}

I’m excited to share an incentive plan we are doing with the girls this fall, but first I’d like to take a look back at toddler reading.  Below is a tip from Parents PhD:

Lots of repeated reading of the same books! Toddlers can also “read” the familiar stories with you so it’s time to involve them in the reading experience. Try leaving out the main word of each page and see if your toddler can fill it in for you. Ask them to identify key pictures on the page as you read.

Listen to a toddler led reading  (following the tip listed above) of the wonderful book Little Pea by one of our favorite authors Amy Krause.

Let’s Lasso the Moon Tip: If you have a toddler and a smart phone I highly recommend capturing an audio of a reading session. This video is an audio of my daughter Rose “reading” Little Pea when she was two. Now that she is a “big girl” this audio is truly priceless.

Melissa over at Honey Bee Books shares her Favourite Five Bedtime Stories.  I am falling more and more in love with her blog!  I am always looking for a book recommendation.

What are/were your favorite toddler books?  Please share with… a comment below!

PS: Don’t miss future posts and projects! Be sure to sign up for our RSS feed or connect online:

Comments

1. Meridith Anderson says

Oh sooooo many favorite books to suggest. One book that my kids REALLY enjoyed as toddlers was The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry and the Big Hugry Bear by Don and Audrey Wood. They would get so excited to read this story and read it we did almost every night. We had the board book version, which made it very easy for their little hands to manipulate. I just love the expressions on the face of that little mouse! We also love Sandra Boynton’s crazy zany animal books. Barnyard Dance, The Going to Bed Book, Bellybutton Book, Pajama Time,etc, Her wonderful catchy rhymes and simple drawings were perfect for little ones. Such good memories!

2. says

Thanks for sharing some of Parent PhD’s ideas! Reading with toddlers is a wonderful experience. The more you read to them, the quicker they will begin to read back to you. Enjoy!

3. says

Skippyjon Jones!! It is more fun for me to read outloud than pretty much any other book out there. Now if you could slip a margarita into that picnic basket for mommy, you’d be all set. Just be sure to put on your wildest Spanish accent and have fun with it!

• Meridith Anderson says

We LOVE SkippyJonJones at our house too! Have you ever listed to the author reading them on audio books. HILARIOUS!!

4. Heidi Peters says

My favorite by far is “I Know a Rhino” by Charles Fuge. We also liked the sing-songy words to Dr. Seuss’s ABC: An Amazing Alphabet Book (Big I, Little i, What begins with I? Itchy Itchy Ichabod I…i…I)

I completely agree with your urge to get an audio of your toddler reading. I wish I had done that with my second daughter. Here’s a priceless capture of my Bear reading “Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?” by Bill Martin, Eric Carle when she was two:

5. says

We’ve been fortunate to have kids that love books. We have bookshelves and book baskets all over the house and it’s not uncommon to find one of them with piles around them. A few they have been been “reading” repeatedly this week have been Rosie’s Walk and The Wind Blew both by Pat Hutchins, Can’t Sleep Without Sheep by Susanna Leonard Hill, and Apples and Pumpkins by Anne Rockwell.

6. Anonymous says

I always find it so hard to narrow it down to one favourite, so I will go with what my little girl’s favourite book of the moment is: Big Red Bath by Julia Jarman. I must say I love this book as well because it is so much fun to read aloud.
    A big thank you for the mention too! I am glad you are enjoying the blog :)